If you’re in the market for a new house, you’re probably torn between a custom and a spec home. You don’t know which makes sense for your family and which is a better investment.
And yes, your choice depends on your housing needs, the time it takes to build one, your budget, and your desire to control aspects of the build.
To help you make an informed choice, we’ll examine the differences between custom and spec homes. Let’s jump right in.
What Is a Custom Home?
This brand-new home is designed and built according to your unique specifications. You choose the layout, floors, doorknobs and every element of your house. In other words, you play an active role in the design and build process.
What Is a Spec Home?
These houses are built by professional home builders based on market trends or to appeal to the masses. Usually, spec home builders put up several identical houses in a lot but give you some leeway to select specific features or upgrades such as wall paint and countertops.
Are Spec Homes Cheaper?
The short answer: It depends. To explain, the upfront cost of a spec home may be lower. However, the total expenditure may balloon if you do significant renovations to tailor the house to your needs and preferences.
Let’s now compare custom homes and spec homes.
Custom Homes: Advantages
You can choose your home’s location. You can put up a custom build wherever you can purchase a lot.
- It grants greater flexibility in choosing your home design. You can choose between different plans or create your design depending on your preferences and needs.
- You get to choose appliances and finishes. Whether it’s the paint on the walls or the dishwasher, you have a say in every element of your custom home.
- You can get more value for your money. You don’t need to compromise on fixtures, layout or finishes. You have the freedom to choose and pay for precisely what you desire.
- Lower switching costs. With technology changing rapidly, it can be hard to stay up-to-date. Custom homes allow you to upgrade to the latest gadgets and features. This may be harder and more expensive in an existing house.
- Longer build time. It’s time-intensive to construct a new house from scratch.
- You need to make numerous decisions. You have a say in every aspect of the design and construction of your home.
- Resale challenges. When a house is highly customized, it can be difficult to get a buyer if you decide to sell.
- Possibility of delays. Weather and late deliveries can sometimes inhibit construction.
Spec Home Building: Advantages
- You’ll make fewer decisions. The builder is responsible for the majority of the building and construction.
- Offer immediate availability. Spec homes eliminate the lengthy wait associated with new construction.
- You can do your homework. With a spec home, you can see, walk through the house, and touch it before buying. In other words, you can inspect a new home’s details before you purchase it.
- Mass appeal. Spec homes are designed with features and selections that the average home buyer likes.
- It can be expensive. The renovations can be costly if you need to upgrade appliances or finishes.
- Limited design. You have minimal control over the construction and layout of your home.
- Location. You don’t have a say in your home location because the builder will have chosen a neighborhood.
Which One Is Right for You?
All in all, it’s essential to understand your options in the home-building process. And yes, deciding which path to take to get that dream house can be tricky. The good news?
If you’re looking for custom home builders Indiana, look no further than Lancia Homes. With practical floor plans and competent designers, your dream of building a custom home is closer than you think. Contact us today and learn more about the construction process.