- Purchase the right brushes for the wall type and paint sheen.
- Buy paint samples. Apply a small amount of paint to the wall & let it dry to make sure it’s the color you want.
- Protect your furniture by removing it from the room or covering it with painter’s plastic.
- Remove wall plates and switch plates.
- Protect flooring and cover it with canvas drop cloths.
- Purchase or rent enough ladders and scaffolding to reach all areas safely.
- Patch holes in the walls and other imperfections.
- Clean wall surfaces and baseboards (if applicable) so the paint adheres better.
- Tape off baseboards, trim work, and ceilings to get a straight, even paint line.
- Keep paint thinner or drop clothes handy for cleanup emergencies.